A Guiding Force In Our Operations
TVWD's Sustainability Program provides leadership, education, analysis, project management, and accountability for the District's Sustainability efforts.
The program accomplishes this by leading District efforts to adopt sustainable business operations, searching for cost-saving environmentally safer solutions and technologies, working with staff to create a healthy and vibrant organization, and by acting as a partner with other regional stakeholders in efforts to ensure a thriving environment, economy, and community.
Integrating sustainability into all aspects of TVWD operations
Ensuring that the District meets its existing Sustainability commitments by implementing the goals of the Sustainability Plan
Identifying new areas for improvement throughout District operations
Working with other governmental entities, non-profits, businesses and other stakeholders on regional efforts to develop regional strategies for maintaining a high quality of life
- Reduced carbon footprint without compromised customer service or operational efficiency - employees, site, operations
- District greenhouse gas assessment developed and implemented with monitoring of a strategy to reduce carbon emissions from District operations
- Reduced use of paper for increased efficiency and sustainability
- Minimized employee exposure to hazardous substances used in District operations
- Enhanced understanding of customer usage & demand, reduced carbon footprint, enhanced financial and capital planning
- Maximized purchase of durable, recycled and recyclable materials
- Fast, efficient employee access from remote locations.
- District operations conducted in a manner that creates no more carbon emissions than are adjusted through direct projects or offset through purchase of RECs and carbon offsets
- Sustainable actions actively promoted to all staff
- Sustainable actions actively promoted to community
- Minimized waste from District operations
Stewardship of assets maintained
- Focused training on District sustainable purchasing strategy
- Sustainability goals and performance measures integrated into each department
- Completed installation of solar-generated energy at TVWD Headquarters site
Technical Assistance for Business Sustainability (TABS) is a collaboration of Washington County agencies and organizations, including TVWD. TABS provides business assistance with waste prevention and recycling, energy efficiency and green power, transportation options, water conservation and efficiency, and pollution prevention. We are excited to be a part of this group and to further help businesses accomplish their sustainability goals.
If you're interested in sharing the information about the TABS agencies and organizations, take a look at their brochure (PDF).
Check out our Sustainability Video, Taking the Next Step, and its accompanying handbook online for District employee and Board member thoughts about Sustainability and for examples of where you or your organization might begin or continue your own journey toward Sustainability.
The Oregon Department of Environmental Quality has an excellent Web site with a list of sustainability resources.
Partners for a Sustainable Washington County Community (PSWCC) is a coalition of eleven Washington County governments working together on sustainability. The agency researches sustainable practices for Partners, facilitates collaboration between Partner organizations, and develops sustainability education and training for the Partners and the Washington County community at large. For more information, visit their Web site or send them an Email.