Information About Our Biennial Budget
How TVWD Prepares Its Budget
TVWD facilitates an open and transparent budget process every two years (a biennial budget), as allowed by Oregon law. The biennial budget is reviewed and approved by the District's Budget Committee, which is comprised of five appointed citizen members who live within the District and the five elected members of the Board of Commissioners.
TVWD is a self-sustaining water utility. The District's budget includes five funds: a general fund, a construction fund, a water supply program fund, a debt service fund and an intergovernmental agreement fund. The District does not receive any tax dollars, and all the revenue collected is spent on water operations, system maintenance and capital improvements. The TVWD Board of Commissioners authorizes the budget by adopting a resolution and appropriating funding in categories that include: personnel services, materials and services, capital outlay, debt service, contingency and transfers.
The Budget Committee
The five appointed Budget Committee members serve four year terms and represent the interests of the District's ratepayers. Applicants are interviewed by members from the Board of Commissioners and assessed for relevant education and experience, interest and ability to prepare for and attend all the required workshops and meetings.
There are no current openings on the District's Budget Committee. When an opening is available, TVWD publicizes vacancies in local newspapers and on the District website.
Budget Process and Schedule
TVWD's Budget process includes the following steps:
- The Budget Committee begins their work early in the spring by learning about TVWD's capital projects and water system operations, its overall financial condition and outlook, and key policy that form the basis of the upcoming requested budget.
- Staff prepares materials for Budget Committee review and feedback. TVWD staff asks the Budget Committee to consider the requested appropriations, asks questions and provide input.
- The Budget Committee holds a public hearing to receive questions and comments from anyone wishing to testify on the Proposed Budget as presented by the District's Budget Officer.
- The Budget Committee takes formal action by approving the budget and recommending the budget for adoption by the TVWD Board of Commissioners.
- The TVWD Board of Commissioners holds a public hearing on the Approved Budget.
- The Board of Commissioners adopts the District's budget during their regular Board Meeting in June.
All meetings are open to the public. TVWD encourages members of the public to attend the workshops to learn about the budget development process. The 2015-17 Budget schedule is provided below:
- Tuesday, March 31, 2015 (6:00 P.M.) Budget Committee Workshop #1 - Budget Process Overview, Financial Forecast Update, Water Supply Program (Workshop 1 Presentation - PDF)
- Tuesday, April 21, 2015 (6:00 P.M.) Budget Committee Workshop #2 - Department Operating Plans, District Capital Improvement Plan, Requested Budget Summary (Workshop 2 Presentation - PDF)
- Thursday, May 28, 2015 (6:00 P.M.) Budget Committee Meeting - Presentation Of Proposed Budget; Public Hearing, Committee Deliberations & Approval Of Budget (Proposed 2015-2017 Budget - PDF)
- Wednesday, June 17, 2015 (7:00 P.M.) Board Of Commissioners Meeting ‐ Budget Hearing, Adopt Budget, Make Appropriations
All workshops and meetings will be held at TVWD Headquarters.
For more information call (503) 848-3000 or visit our Board Meetings and Minutes Web page.
Board of Commissioners Adopts 2013-2015 Budget
At the June 19, 2013 Board of Commissioners meeting (PDF), the Board adopted the 2013-15 Budget.
Current Budget Information (All PDF files)
- 2013-2015 Adopted Budget (8 MB): TVWD's current complete operating budget and capital improvement plan.
- 2013-2015 Budget Message: Background information geared towards the Budget Committee that provides information and highlights portions of the budget to aid reviewing of the adopted budget.
- Resolution adopting the 2013-2015 budget: Adopted at the June 19, 2013 Board meeting.